Going to the Theatre Alone - My experience & Tips

 

This blog is going to be different, but one of my biggest achievements since end of 2021 is having the confidence to experience live theatre on my own. 



My first time going to the theatre alone was Prince of Egypt.

This was the second time I saw this show, after spending a day doing a sound mixing course for live theatre. On this occasion, I didn’t feel much anxiety as I’ve already seen the show, and I knew what to expect. Going for a drink prior did feel a little daunting, but I was taking in the overall atmosphere. Looking at the excitement of couples & families, some experiencing theatre for the first time.

On this occasion, I sat in the middle Isle, a little closer from the first visit, to get a better view of the stage due to the overhang. Although the view was great, I was surrounded by rude individuals which spoiled the experience slightly.

 

Back to the Future the Musical was my first full day trip to the capital on my own. This was booked in December during the Boxing Day sales, and I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. The experience was brilliant, followed by a private chat after the show with the sound mixer. This gave me a great insight into the QLab used for sound effects, and the amount of channels/plugins used for the production. After the show, I took myself out for some dinner at a traditional pub, first time I’ve ate out on my own. At the start, this felt strange, but I noticed a few others eating on their own as well which put me at ease. It was a relaxing atmosphere bearing in mind this was about 6pm, but once again, no one was looking, and I just read a book.

I’ve recently spent the Monday Evening on my own to Vampire’s Rock. This was my third visit to Hull New Theatre, after Waitress & Mamma mia, on these occasions with family and friends. I felt more confident this time, as this was my local theatre, and knowing the layout and staff makes the venue feel like a second home.

 

Tips:

·        Go for a meal or a walk beforehand;

Fully immerse yourself to the experience with a meal beforehand. Find a restaurant with your favourite food and maybe bring a book/tablet to keep you company. Or maybe research into a favourite hobby whilst you wait.

Have a drink before the show in a bar, which may relax you.

·        See a matinee performance;

Sometimes, off peak shows can be less popular in terms of ticket sales at the west end. And you’ll feel ‘less judged’. Often, the West end is fairly quiet during January-February and September. This is the best time to go. Or if you are seeing a show locally, the first couple of nights (often Tuesday/Wednesday) can be quiet, depending on the show.

·        Don’t worry about what other people think of you;

Depending which show you see, most people will think positive that you have the confidence to enjoy your own company. Some groups sitting near you may spark a conversation.

 

When seeing back to the Future, I spoke to many couples and families who shared their interest in theatre and technical aspects.

During Vampires Rock, I spoke to a few people who shared passions for 80s rock. This led to having a spontaneous dance at the end of the show, something I’m normally insecure about.

 

·        Choose a seat that feels right for you;

Seeing a show on your own, in the middle of the stalls can be terrifying, especially on shows which requires audience participation. If this is the case, either sitting on the higher tiers, or in the isle further back may ease some anxiety.  

·        Have a walk around the theatre;

One thing I like to do before/during the interval is take in the beauty of the theatre. Most theatres across the UK, especially the west end are beautiful. Theatres are full of history, and some full of artwork from it’s past.  I also like to take in the technical aspects of the show, looking at what type of lighting & scenery is going to be used

·        Only your opinion matters;

This probably sounds selfish, but often when you’re organising a trip to the theatre with a friend or partner, sometimes you may feel concerned if they don’t like the show. Seeing shows on your own clears others from your mind. One of the most important lessons of life is self-love, and allow time for yourself to follow your passions.

 

I hope this inspires people to get out of their comfort zone, as it's a completley new experience, and this should be more common in the theatre industry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney's Frozen - The Musical

The Prince of Egypt The Musical - Thursday 2nd September 2021